I’m aware that I have been on quite the hiatus this summer. I do have some nifty recipes and pictures to post eventually.
Don’t Let the Picture Fool You
I know I have greatly neglected my blog. There has been such a significant amount of nonsense going on here at the Frost Farm. I promise new blogs … about Frogs🙂 Coming soon. In the meantime, try reading my new Short Story … The Quiet One.
Click the photo below:
It’s funny – because truth be told – I am honestly super content with my life. I always remember my father saying to my mom and me , “You’re millionaires, guys. We have a roof over our heads, food in our bellies, our health AND most importantly – we’re together.” And he was right. I was a millionaire then …. and even though my dad isn’t with me anymore – I’m a millionaire now. I have faith, a job, an amazing-supportive family, 4 great animals, and a roof over my head.
BUT …. there’s always that little inkling – that little voice whispering – “Oh you could really use that, Susie”. So, once again I’ve compiled a nice list of things I NEED – to make my perfect life – a little bit “comfortable” if you will.🙂
- Snugglens™ –ETSY (Snugglens Camera Bags) – when I got my camera years ago – Nick ended up buying me a run of the mill Nikon case. While it was a nice surprise – it’s big and bulky and he usually ends up carrying it. Snugglens – offers fashionable camera cases with extra pockets (for phones, etc) and they’re specially made to order. By a woman who took early retirement. To move to the Ozark Mountains. To raise mules. SOLD (UPDATE – Since I began writing this list – the Shop Owner, Judy, has had to for a stem-cell/bone marrow transplant. There are bags still available – but right now I am just wishing her a speedy and easy recovery!! Prayers are with you!!
- A Buff Orpington or 10 – www.backyard chickens.com – As Buff Hooligans (how can you not love that name?) comments on her write-up about Buffys – they’re the Scarlett Johansson’s of the chicken world. Her write up is hysterical and honestly – although I’ve had my mind made up about the breed for some time now – this article TOTALLY just made me want them more.
- Another season of The Borgias – www.sho.com/sho/the-borgias/home– Well this one isn’t going to happen and I’m super bummed that I caught on to it so late. I’ll just miss seeing Francois Arnaud on my TV. Thank God – I can always re-watch (YAY onDemand and Netflix) and will have Norman Reedus and The Walking Dead to occupy my time🙂
- The Unpaper Towel – http://www.theunpapertowel.com – Nick and I have long been using cloth napkins and it definitely cuts down on the cost of paper napkins. But we couldn’t quite get out of the habit of using paper towels – especially with the dogs. But paper towels cost money. Not to mention it brings with it the difficult task of trying to find companies that are Cruelty Free. (Surprisingly – a lot of unassuming products are still considered “not cruelty free” because of parent companies.) So, why not cut out the middleman, help the environment and still have the convenience of multi sheet paper towels? The Unpaper Towel appears to do just that. There is also an awesome MORE!?! link on their page that offers a bunch of other alternative uses for their product.
- Hunter Rain Boots- http://us.hunterboots.com I am, without a doubt, a fan of all things BOOT. There was a time when I would only wear boots. Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. I have a nice pair of INDULGE-2033’s from the Goth Days, Brown Lace Up’s by Steve Madden – from my BoHo days, brown riding books, black riding boots, LL Bean – Snow Boots, Cheap Groupon boots, Jessica Simpson past the knee boots. … the list goes on! Now – I try to minimize my Spring/Summer boot wearing to my cowboy boots. BUT one type of boot – I haven’t owned in years. A Rain BOOT. Winters are rough here, Spring is rainy here and our property is muddy. Sounds like a personally good reason to invest in a nice, fashionable pair of Hunter Rain Boots. Christmas list item #1 – thank you SANTA. (UPDATE – I GOT THESE, they are perfect!!
What are your opinions on my NEEDS list this week? What are some things you have been dying to get yourself?
*please note – all photos are copyrighted by their owners – and have either been asked for permission and/or credited via a link on this blog*
Lately, I’ve been back on writing my novel. It’s a gigantic process in the making and I’ve been writing it for the past 9 years. Most of the time – I don’t think I’ll ever finish, but every once in a while, I pick up my gigantic stack of research books, look at my old links online and begin to type a page or two. As anyone who reads my blog knows, I’m anything other than structured when I write and I try not to force myself into doing something I truly enjoy.
However, with all the snow we’ve been getting in the Northeast lately – I’ve been having plenty of time to jot down some thoughts and get some inspiration, catch up on my shows, take care of my sick goat, set the house up for St. Patrick’s day, grade papers, and pay some bills . THANK YOU – SNOW DAYS!!
BUT it can’t all be about writing (though it should be) and chores. SO luckily – I’ve also had some time to take some adorable (albeit, he’s not that happy about it) pictures of Harley in the snow!!
What about you? Have you been making the best of the wacky weather this winter? Or just wishing it was Spring already?
Once again – I’ve been neglecting my blogging. I’ve sworn to myself that this blog would be a manifestation of all the crazy adventures and experiences in my life. Positivity vs negativity. Which is precisely why I haven’t been writing. The end of 2014 and beginning of 2015 brought with it some very difficult hurdles. There were kidney stones, stress of the holidays, my standard Christmas cold, my February battle with the Flu and then ….. the loss of an amazing friend. I am not going to turn this post or blog into a haven for doom and gloom. Jess wouldn’t want that and I don’t want that. She was an outstanding person with an amazing determination. She knew what it was like to fight an invisible connective tissue disease – that takes more out of you than sometimes you are willing to put in. She was there to listen and tell me exactly what I needed to do/get tested for next. She was my go-to guru, lunch partner, confidant, fangirl-ing friend. I miss her terribly. I could do a whole post – about Jess – about how she fought lupus, never gave up and encouraged me to live my life to the fullest. Which is why – this blog is going to be about what I AM doing – to live my life, enjoy everyday and continue the fight.
To find out more about lupus, overlap diseases and other autoimmune diseases check out these links:
www.lupus.org – a great resource on what it means to have lupus and resources for family/friends
www.mollysfund.org – a great page that discusses what it is like to live with lupus and overlap diseases
www.butyoudontlooksick.com – resources, articles, etc – for anyone living with/with someone who has an invisible illness
We’ve had such a ridiculous amount of squash and zucchini this summer- that I truly was beginning to think that Nick was getting “squashed” out. I’ve made zucchini quiche (super quick – I’ll post it one day), grilled zucchini and squash – with homemade herbal marinade, zucchini bread and our favorite: Apple Sausage and Zucchini Pasta. This is one of our favorite meals I came across some many years ago – and with a few changes and alterations – it keeps getting better every time.